KNOPPIX is a bootable Live system on CD or DVD, consisting of a representative collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a productive Linux system for the desktop, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it (over 8GB on the DVD 'Maxi' edition).
The following 'Highlights' are available on the download version:
- Linux-Kernel 2.6.x
- KDE V3.x as the standard desktop with K Office and the Konqueror WWW-browser konqueror
- X Multimedia System (xmms) an MPEG-video, MP3, Ogg Vorbis Audio Player and xine
- Internet connection software kppp,pppoeconf (DSL) and isdn-config
- Gnu Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) Version 2.x
- utilities for Data Recovery and system repairs, even for other operating systems
- network and security analysis tools for network administrators
- OpenOffice.org, the GPL-developed version of the well-known StarOffice(TM) office suite
- many programming languages, development tools and libraries for developers
- in total more than 900 installed software packages with over 2000 executable user programs, utilities, and games
- Intel-compatible CPU (i486 or later),
- 32 MB of RAM for text mode, at least 96 MB for graphics mode with KDE (at least 128 MB of RAM is recommended to use the various office products),
- bootable CD-ROM drive, or a boot floppy and standard CD-ROM (IDE/ATAPI or SCSI),
- standard SVGA-compatible graphics card,
- serial or PS/2 standard mouse or IMPS/2-compatible USB-mouse.
Screenshots are not available currently.
What's New in Knoppix 6.2.1
Release notes are not available currently.
No additional system requirements.